The variety of calls and enquires that we receive from the public and other agencies and departments is extremely wide. We are contacted for routine complaints as well as the strange and rare, sometimes as a last resort.
We always endeavour to help the public and solve the problem by dealing with the problem or if its outside our control, reporting the issue to the correct department or Agency. The whole structure of His Majesty’s Government of Gibraltar’s departments and Agencies can be somewhat daunting and anonymous at times to members of the public so we ensure that we provide feedback to the caller on what is happening.
In the past, some of the concerns we have been called about are listed below. We may not be directly involved with all such issues but we then get the right people to sort it out.
- Refuse accumulations
- Water leaks
- Leaky roofs
- Unsafe structures or parts of buildings
- Deposited household items
- Dog and cat droppings
- Barbary Macaques
- Rats and mice
- Oil slicks
- Derelict vehicles
- Swarming bees and wasps
- Noise from a variety of sources
- Sewage blockages
- Drainage leaks
- Washed up dolphins, turtles etc
The Agency is responsible for the provision of other services to the community as follows:
- Issue of permits for importation or export of human remains
- Provision of hearse services to local Funeral Directors.
- Inspection of H M Prison. This is carried out as required by the Public Health Act and reports are submitted to both the Superintendent of Prison and the Board of Governors.
Preparation and revision of the Off-Site Emergency Plan designed to respond to any radiation emergency which might arise from visits by Nuclear Powered Warships to HM Naval Base. The Plan can be read here.
- Advising Government on Environmental issues and in particular on some EU related matters
- Competent Authority for EU Eco-Environment and Audit Scheme (EMAS)
- Competent Authority for EU Eco-Labeling Scheme
- Competent Authority in respect of notification and consent for activities involving genetic modification
- Membership of the following committees
- Civil Contingency Committee
- Gibraltar Liaison Committee on Nuclear Accidents
- Infection Control Committee
- Joint Local Advisory Group on EU Funding Programme
- Litter Control Committee
- Monitoring Committee on EU Funding Programme
- Noise Core Steering Committee
- Oil Pollution Action Committee
- Recycling Committee